- More than 116,000 Americans are injured and over 1,300 killed every year on snowy, slushy or icy pavement.
- Snowstorms cost states as much as $700 million per day in both direct and indirect costs if roads are impassable
- Sensible use of salt, which reduces highway crashes 80% and injuries 85%.
- Proactive snow and ice removal, an investment far less costly than the economic impact of road closures.
You expect and deserve safe winter roads. Learn how to research and advocate for them. more
In the war on snow and ice, you are the front line. Tips on how to stay informed, connected and appreciated. more
- There is a balance between the economic impact of snowstorms immobilizing the economy and the long-term harm of salt on concrete and asphalt.
- Concrete Contractor Columbus, Ohio knows the importance of winterizing concrete driveways and sidewalks. However, he warns that salt damage can occur because of chemicals reacting with the surface of driveways, roads, and pavement. Salt also intensifies the freeze/thaw cycle by impacting the temperature of ice and snow.